Saturday, 24 September 2016

PUSH-UPS: Michael J. Malone

Michael J. Malone.
So what you pushing right now?
My new book is called A Suitable Lie and it comes atcha from that publishing powerhouse, Karen Sullivan of Orenda Books.

What’s the hook?
The blurb reads thusly: Andy Boyd thinks he is the luckiest man alive. Widowed with a young child, after his wife dies in childbirth, he is certain that he will never again experience true love. Then he meets Anna. Feisty, fun and beautiful, she's his perfect match... And she loves his son, too. When Andy ends up in the hospital on his wedding night, he receives his first clue that Anna is not all that she seems. He ignores it; a dangerous mistake that could cost him everything. 

And why’s that floating your boat?
I started writing and researching this book in 1998, so it’s brilliant to see it reach the light of the bookshops. I’m torturing a metaphor there, but you know what I mean, right?

When did you turn to crime?

When I stepped back from the writing of BLOOD TEARS, the third book I wrote, but the first to be published, I realised I’d written a crime novel. So it was a happy accident really, and if I’d been consciously trying to write one I’m not sure I could have. I was convinced I didn’t have the plotting chops to please the reader. But as the man said, you don’t know if you can do it, until you do it.

Hardboiled or Noir, classic or contemporary? 
I lean more to the contemporary, but I’m partial to shades of hardboiled and noir.

And, what’s blown you away lately?
I mentioned Orenda Books earlier? The publisher there, Karen Sullivan has an amazing eye, I’ve loved pretty much everything she’s put out so far. It’s difficult to play favourites but Amanda Jenning, In Her Wake had me in tears, as did Louise Beech’s The Mountain in my Shoe (I know, I’m a big soft lump) Also loved Michael Grothaus’ Epiphany Jones – probably the most exciting new voice in fiction I’ve read in recent years.

See any books as movies waiting to happen?
Yup. All of the above. And ALL of mine.

Mainstream or indie - paper or digital?
Not fussed if it’s mainstream or indie, all I want is a good book. Both are capable of producing crackers – both are capable of producing stuff that doesn’t do it for me.
And it’s got to be paper. I really struggle with reading from a screen. It has the feel of a manuscript and I can’t relax into the reading, and just want to edit.

Shout us a website worth visiting …
You should all have a look at my new publisher’s website -  http://orendabooks.co.uk/ and check out what Karen is up to. Very few publishers ever manage to achieve the level of brand awareness she has, in only 22 or so months. Do you ever hear of people saying they must look to see what Headline are producing next? Orenda get that all the time. Can you tell I’m a fan of her work?


:: Buy A SUITABLE LIE on Amazon.